LIVE ONLINE STUDIO WORKSHOPS with DAVID DUNLOP
RECORDED VERSIONS of Certain Earlier Workshops are now available.
Join artist, teacher and Emmy award winning David Dunlop for new adventures in landscape painting. In David’s inimitable, inspiring and entertaining style, he blends art history, painting technique, philosophy and science in all of his many programs. In his 3 Workshop Series on Tuesdays, learn new methods and insights to dramatically improve your paintings in his new live online painting workshops series with a personal painting critique for those who wish to submit a painting.
David will merge contemporary and historic ideas, techniques and materials and will explore nature’s patterns and textures and how to create their effects. He will experiment and expand traditional models of landscape painting. David’s explores how biology and neuroscience determine our vision and can be used to make arresting artworks.
His Saturday Demonstration Workshops -when scheduled – are 2 hours long and do NOT include individual painting critiques, although he is happy to answer any of your questions. All Workshops are recorded for your later review and you will be able to access them whenever you like. David encourages you to use whatever supplies you enjoy, and he has also provided his Suggested SUPPLY LIST.
Dunlop’s Live Online Tuesday Landscape Painting Workshops on Zoom are back in 2024! David‘s Live Online Tuesday Landscape Painting Workshops will be held on February 6, 13 and 20 at 11:00 am EST and we will announce the March dates soon. This is a unique opportunity to continue to explore new skills and techniques, and to connect with fellow artists who share your passion. These Workshops are designed for artists of all levels, from beginners to experienced professionals. When you purchase the Workshops, your purchase confirmation will contain the the Zoom link to join each workshop together with the link to the webpage containing the recorded version of the workshop and its related password. We will also send this same information to you in an email the day before and the morning of each Workshop. In these live online workshops on Zoom, David will bring you a wealth of artistic, historical, and scientific information, exploration of artistic precedents, unique painting demonstrations, encouragement, exciting painting techniques and tips, and insights in his entertaining way. Assuming that there are no technical issues and as an additional bonus, we will also post a recorded version of the Workshop that you can access for later viewing.
a. Live Studio Discussion and Painting Demonstration by David (1.5-2 hours). THIS JANUARY, EACH WORKSHOP WILL FOCUS ON SPECIFIC INSPIRATION PHOTOGRAPHS. We are trying something a little different. Each Workshop will include a 1.5 – 2 hr. Painting Demonstration and 1-1.5 hrs. for optional individual painting critiques for those who would like to submit their paintings, plus access to the recording of each Workshop. David has chosen the following three different topics for his demonstrations inJanuary and in each Workshop he will be considering the inspiration photographs displayed below that he has taken.
b. Painting Critique of Submitted Workshop Member Paintings for Tuesday Workshops (1-1.5 hrs for individual painting critiques). If you are interested in having David look at one of your paintings and offer a personal critique of the painting for approximately 3-5 minutes, then you can send a high resolution image of your painting to us by 7pm of the evening before the respective workshop. David will discuss your painting with you during the workshop in the order in which the paintings are submitted to him. The monthly workshops do not contain individual critiques.
c. Recordings of the workshops will be available for workshops participants after the Workshop, assuming there are no technical problems. The programs and their recordings are created and produced by David Dunlop and SimmonsArt Inc and subject to their copyright. All or selected portions of each demonstration may later be used for marketing purposes and/or uploaded to YouTube.
d. ZOOM VIDEO CONFERENCING. We are using the Zoom video conferencing technology, which also allows us to record the workshops. You can use the free Zoom option and – PLEASE NOTE – you will need to register at Zoom before the class. Click here for more information on how to register for Zoom. Please update your Zoom software because there have been issues with Zoom because of the recent surge in usage because so many people are now at home.
3 Tuesdays in March, 2024 Workshops (March 12, 19 and 26, 2024 at 11:00am EST)(1.5-2 hr. hr. Painting Demonstration & Optional Personal Critique)
$150.00Add to cart
These are the topics for the Three March Workshops:
- Wave Patterns and Rocks in Sunlight (March 12, 2024). In this landscape painting workshop, David will present historic precedents and compositions that explore different approaches to capturing wave patterns and rocks in sunlight. In his composition `examples that he draws at the beginning and during his demonstration painting in oil, David will focus on techniques for creating foreshortening and plasticity of the waves at the shore as they encounter sunlit rocks. David will demonstrate the power of creating graphic abstract shapes using a palette of sun-kissed colors to paint interesting, animated detail and the complexity of water.
- A Romantic Scottish Garden and Stream (March 19, 2024). In this workshop, David explores the romance of a garden scene from a photograph captured during a tour of the Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh. He first considers a brief survey of historic paintings and ideas of design as defined in late 18th and 19th century from Claude, Constable, and Ruskin and Capability Brown. David then investigates different design possibilities to recompose the composition of the Garden and Stream. David will then demonstrate new and experimental techniques to create a sense of movement and play in the textures of garden and stream elements. David will explore – in a step-by-step process – different aspects of color theory, brush techniques, and composition for this unique landscape demonstration.
- A Spray of Spring Wildflowers at a Meadow’s Edge (March 26, 2024). In this workshop, David will explore how to create an intricate interplay of the close-up elements of a spray of spring wildflowers crowding together in sunlight on the fringes of wild farmland meadows. He examines and explores the techniques used by artists through time who have created landscapes that carry you through an intimate foreground into a distant landscape. David will demonstrate different techniques to create a vibrant, weaving mixture of textures and space which evoke the natural exuberance of a patch of wildflowers – a harbinger of Spring.
David Dunlop’s Tuesdays in April, 2024 Workshops (April 9, 16 and 23, 2024 at 11:00am EST) (1.5-2 hr. hr. Painting Demonstration & Optional Personal Critique) TOPICS TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON
$150.00Add to cart
3 Tuesdays in February, 2024 Workshops at 11:00am EST (1.5-2 hr. hr. Painting Demonstration & Optional Personal Critique)
1. Snow and Light in a Tangle of Winter Trees (February 6, 2024). In this landscape painting workshop, David will explore historic precedents and compositions and different color palettes for painting the silhouette of winter trees in the snow against the solar flare. He will focus on techniques for creating dazzling sunlight and drifts of snow, with the sunlit halo of diffused light from the surrounding winter forest. David’s painting demonstration will incorporate these palettes for snow and light and techniques to create different ways to paint interesting detail and the complexity of winter scenes.
2. Wind Born Painting Demonstration (February 13, 2024). In this workshop, David explores the dance of golden leaves in a sunlit fall from the autumn trees. David will demonstrate new and experimental techniques to create a sense of movement and play in the textures of forest elements. David will demonstrate – in a step-by-step process – different aspects of color theory, brush techniques, and composition for this unique landscape demonstration.
3. Across the Pond Painting Demonstration (February 20, 2024). In this workshop, David will explore how to create a sophisticated interplay of close up elements moving over a blue reflective pond receding to a distant harbor town. He examines and explores how artists from Rembrandt to Turner have created landscapes that carry you from an intimate foreground into a distant silhouette of a town. David will experiment with aerial and atmospheric perspective, optical shifts, color recession and the chromatic contrasts of blues and golds to create a pulsing interplay of textures and space.
3 Tuesdays in January, 2024 Workshops at 11:00am EST (1.5-2 hr. hr. Painting Demonstration & Optional Personal Critique)
$150.00Add to cart
Workshop 1 – January 9, 2024: Winter Stream in Snow Painting Demonstration
In this Winter Stream in Snow landscape painting workshop, David will explore historic precedents and compositions and different color palettes for painting a winter stream in snow. He will focus on techniques for creating sparkling sunlight and reflections on snow and over/under water, with the sunlit halo of diffused light from the surrounding winter forest. David’s painting demonstration will incorporate these palettes and techniques to create different ways to paint interesting detail and the complexity of winter scenes. David will offer his Optional Individual Painting Critiques after the painting demonstration.
Workshop 2 – January 16, 2024 Cascade of Red Roses Painting Demonstration
In this Cascade of Red Roses workshop, immerse yourself in the timeless beauty of floral and garden painting with David’s innovative techniques. Our workshop will take you on a journey through the history of floral paintings, while also showcasing modern methods to reinvent this classic art form. In this workshop, you will be inspired by David’s experimentation with new techniques to create a stunning cascade of red roses surrounding an evocative cottage and garden. David will demonstrate – in a step-by-step process – different aspects of color theory, brush techniques, and composition for this unique floral and garden demonstration. David will offer his Optional Individual Painting Critiques after the painting demonstration.
In this Panoramic Landscape of Ireland workshop, David will explore how to create an infinite receding perspective of color over distance based upon his vivid photograph taken in the Emerald Isle. He examines and explores how artists from Rembrandt to Turner have created landscapes that carry you from an intimate foreground into immense distance. David will experiment with aerial and atmospheric perspective, optical shifts, color recession and the chromatic contrasts of yellow green and lavender to create gorgeous geometric patchwork of fields. David will demonstrate different techniques to create vivid textures and colors that recede into blended atmosphere. David will offer his Optional Individual Painting Critiques after the painting demonstration.
SATURDAY – JANUARY 20, 2024 – Glittering Light and Reflections on a Sunlit Woodland Pond – Painting Demo ONLY – NO PERSONAL CRITIQUES – RECORDED VERSION STILL AVAILABLE IF YOU MISSED THE WORKSHOP
$50.00Add to cartGlittering Light and Reflections on a Sunlit Woodland Pond. In this Workshop David will demonstrate the complexity of painting a sunlit woodland pond. He will explore how painters throughout time have approached painting the fascinating elements of still and moving water and their glittering reflections. David will show different compositions and will demonstrate how colors, reflections and values change depending upon their relation to the water surface and the sky. David will demonstrate different palette choices and how the juxtaposition of warm and cool and complementary colors can alter the sunlit dimensions of the painting. He will also demonstrate how different brushes and other tools can be used to create the feeling of the layered entanglements found in a woodland pond.
RECORDED VERSIONS OF DAVID’S RECENT LIVE ONLINE STUDIO WORKSHOPS – NO CRITIQUES– ONLINE ONLY – NOT A DVD